Friday, February 3, 2012

H stands for Helping those who are Hurting.

I do devotions with my students every week, and I have been going through these online devotions that go with the letters of the alphabet. This week, we were on H, which stood for Helping those who are Hurting. I didn't even look at it before I read it with my class, and this is what it said,

"Here’s an idea for you: When you get up tomorrow morning, pick out an outfit to
wear for the entire week. You can’t change even once. Just imagine how much time that
would save! Actually, it might be fun for awhile, but it wouldn’t be long before the clothes
and YOU started to stink, would it? Others would come near you and turn the other
direction after noticing the smell, the stains and the wrinkles! Not so fun anymore….
The same is true with compassion toward others. The Bible says that you are to put
it on as if it were your clothes. Just as you get up every morning, put on what you’re going
to wear, add accessories like socks, shoes or jewelry, so you are also to take the time to
dress your spiritual life. Once again, it all goes back to Letter “A”—asking God to help
you have a heart that is tender toward others. After praying, it’s time for the finishing
touch, God’s Word, which teaches you how to live out this instruction." (http://www.lovinthearts.com/KidsDevos.html)

Funny coincidence, huh? My prayer for myself, my students, and you is that everyday as we put on our clothes (whether it be the same thing everyday or not) we ask God to give us his compassion for the hurting. I'm praying that today for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment