Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 5. The Tamar Center

On Day 5, I would like to share with you a little about the Tamar Center.

The Tamar Center is a YWAM (Youth With A Mission) organization that was started in 1999 to reach out to the bar girls working in Pattaya, Thailand. The Tamar Center has 2 locations in Pattaya, one located on one of the darkest streets, Soi 6. The Tamar Center offers a 3 month training, where women learn about God and also learn skills, which will allow them to earn an income other than prostitution. They are trained to make beautiful hand-made cards and also learn restaurant and salon skills. During this time, the women are given opportunities to experience inner healing from a biblical perspective. After the training, women have the opportunity to work at the restaurant, salon, or in the card-making workshop. The Tamar Center also offers business training and women can apply for a micro-loan to start their own business. In addition to these trainings, the Tamar Center teaches free English classes 3 days a week. The Tamar Center staff goes on bar outreaches twice a week to talk with girls working in the bars and invite them to the English classes and to the trainings.

I got to spend some time at the Tamar Center when I was in Pattaya last year. It was an experience I will never forget. The first time I went to one of the English classes I sat by a woman named Pa. During the lesson, I helped her pronounce the English words and we asked each other questions in Thai (I spoke a little conversational Thai at the time). It felt like I was teaching one of my elementary students how to pronounce words correctly. We would laugh as she would mess up English words and I would mess up Thai words. At the end, I got to pray with her. I loved the opportunity to connect with her and just have a little fun, as she was taken away from her life on the streets for just a little bit. I have no idea what her life is like and the burdens that she has to carry, but that day, she heard about the hope that Jesus can giver her from the Tamar staff. The next day, I was walking to the Tamar Center for a prayer meeting at night. The girls were all out on the streets, awaiting their customers. My friend who was walking with me to the prayer meeting told me that someone was trying to get my attention. It was Pa. She was waving and had a huge smile on her face. I went over and said hello and told her I was happy to see her. I was happy to see her again, but I was also really sad because I now had a picture of her reality. I continue to pray for Pa, because I don't know what else to do. I know my God is powerful enough to save her and all the other girls working on the streets of Pattaya. I am thankful that the Tamar Center reaches out to these girls and have saved many of their lives. On my second visit to the English classes, I got to pray for a woman named Anne. After I prayed for her (in English), she was crying, and later she told one of the Tamar Center staff that she felt the love of God in her heart when I was praying for her. My Elmbrook teammates saw her later that week and got to talk to her in the bar where she worked. I pray for her too. I don't know where she is or whether she is still in prostitution, but God does, and he is holding her in his hands.

There are many ways that you can help the Tamar Center. You can donate to this organization here. You can also buy their cards, jewelry, gift bags, and photo frames here. Or consider going to volunteer at the Tamar Center. Find out more information here.

This is a video about the Tamar Center. I know many of the people on this video and have heard their stories. One woman on this video is Phon. She has a powerful story of how God used the Tamar Center to transform her life. She is now on the Tamar Center staff and is a beautiful, passionate woman of God. I am blessed to know her.

God is a God of transformation. Isaiah 60:19-20 says,
"19 The sun will no more be your light by day, 
   nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, 
for the LORD will be your everlasting light, 
   and your God will be your glory. 
20 Your sun will never set again, 
   and your moon will wane no more; 
the LORD will be your everlasting light, 
   and your days of sorrow will end."

I am looking forward to the day when Pattaya will no longer be a city of darkness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment