Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 24. Disgusted and thankful for choice.

I felt a little frustrated yesterday morning as I picked out a scarf to wear with my dress. I have about 10 different scarfs to choose from. It made me a little disgusted with myself to think that I have so many options. That I have bought way more clothes than I need, when there are women and children around the world who only have one outfit to wear everyday of their lives. And it's not just the choices in my clothing. I have so many choices, in what I eat, in the way I spend my money, in what I do with my time, in where I can go. So, I think to myself, if I care enough, I will take this negative feeling and turn it into doing something positive. I don't know what that looks like yet. I talked about getting rid a lot of my clothes, which I plan on doing next month, but that doesn't seem like enough.

I also know that I need to see these choices as a gift God has given me. He has provided me with a lot and I am so thankful. In that thankfulness, I am also praying for wisdom to know what choices are okay and what choices I can do without.

I came across this video this morning on the CNN Freedom Project. It's about a woman from Ohio who decided to wear the same dress for 6 months. She found herself thinking about all the choice that she had and wanting to do something for others in the world who don't have many choices at all. She donated the money that she would have spent on clothes to building a local organization building a shelter for victims of sex trafficking. She also raised awareness and encouraged others to join her cause. Watch the video here.

I also watched another video about a teacher in South Korea who taught her students about human trafficking and now those students are wanting to join the fight too. It's a really inspiring story and makes me excited to think about ways I can raise awareness as a teacher.

These are all videos on a 3 part series of how to make a difference. Here is the first video in the series (whoops, I gave them to you in reverse order =) This video talks about the chocolate industry and what is being done to fight this injustice.

I want to take the resources and knowledge I have and help those in need, those without many choices at all. I know that small things can make a difference, but I want to dream big too. If you have any ideas, let me know! =)

1 comment:

  1. Let's pray about moving forward with our dress project. I want what happened in Ohio to happen in Milwaukee. Let's continue to be the change, my friend. God is with us.

    Great thoughts about choice.

    ReplyDelete