Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 29. Not done yet.

I spilled coffee all over my dress yesterday, so I guess it's good that today is the last day, considering I haven't been washing it.

So what's next?

I don't really know the answer to that for sure, but here are some things that I am thinking:
1. I want to continue writing on this blog. I want to continue research, learning, and sharing information. I want to continue to process what I am learning and experiencing. I probably won't post as much because it is time consuming, and there are other things in my life that I need to make a priority as well. Though this is one of my passions, I do need to find balance in the time I am devoting to it. I plan on definitely continuing this blog through my time in Thailand (I am going to be working with Pattaya Slum Ministries from June 2 to August 21).

2. I definitely plan on simplifying the choice that I have in my life right now. One area specifically is that I plan to get rid of a lot of clothes. In the month of March, I want to get rid of at least 75 items from my closet, possibly more. I also want to de-clutter other parts of my house and donate things that I don't use or don't need.

3. I want to continue to make my students aware of slavery and what is going on around the world. I also want to help other students in my school become more aware as well. I asked my principal if students in our elementary school could help donate Sunday school supplies for me to take over to Thailand, and she agreed to that. I'm hoping to be able to talk a little more about Thailand to the students and show them pictures. I also would love to talk to the middle school classes again as well, and provide them with some action steps they could take. I had a middle school student stop me in the hallway yesterday and thank me for what I am doing for people who experience injustice. My actions and words do have an impact.

4. I still want to write a children's book on human trafficking. This might not happen until I go to Thailand, but we'll see. I'm excited about doing this.

5. I want to make conversations about this topic more of a lifestyle. Since I've been wearing the same dress and a huge pin, I don't even really have to initiate most conversations. It's pretty easy. I've thought I about other things I can do to make conversations easy to initiate, like wearing my Thailand jewelry, but even when I have done that in the past, there are not many people who ask about it. This means that I need to be more bold in initiating conversations, which are sometimes difficult, uncomfortable and not really welcomed. But raising awareness is key in the battle against human trafficking, so I'm in.

A lot of what I am doing seems small at times in light of the hugeness of the problem. There are times where I feel what I am doing isn't making a significant impact. But then, I think about the ways my heart has changed in the past 3 years, and I am sometimes blown away about how different I have become. I am not the same person because of what I know about human trafficking and the injustice I have seen with my own eyes. I am excited about the steps I have taken to help fight this thing that I want to see come to an end. I know that I am not powerful enough to do it on my own, but I am thankful that I know that God cares deeply about people who experience injustice. I am thankful that I serve him and he is continually showing me how I can be apart of bringing his kingdom here on earth. I am also thankful for friends who are excited about fighting injustice as well.

Romans 15:13 is a verse that I have taken hold of in the past year, and I really love it's message. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." 


As I move forward, I am praying that God fills me and you with hope, joy, and peace as we trust that he is working  everything together for good. And I pray that this hope will spill over to people who know Jesus and can help fight this battle with us, and people who don't know Jesus, who we can shine God's love into their lives. 


Thanks for reading this month. Continue to read. Continue to learn. Continue to ask questions. Continue to pray and see how God can use you to help fight injustice. He will use you if you are willing. 


Peace! 

1 comment:

  1. He certainly will use us if we are willing! All we have to do is make ourselves available. How great it is to be a part of God's healing of this world. Thanks for walking this journey with me, fellow lover of justice.

    ReplyDelete