Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 4. Change is possible.

I was running this morning and listening to some music from a cd made by International Justice Mission called Freedom. All of the songs relate to slavery and God's love for justice in the world.

I was listening to a song called "Lost Dreams" by Gabriella DiPace. Here's a youtube video of the song, if you are interested in listening to it. It's about a 9-year old girl who is trapped in a life of slavery. When you hear stories of human trafficking, it can sometimes be overwhelming and debilitating. Sometimes I think, what can one person do to stop this huge, devastating problem? And on my own, I can't. But I have a powerful God on my side who is in the business of redeeming and he is mighty to save.

Psalm 130:7 says, "O, Israel, put your HOPE in the Lord, for with the Lord is UNFAILING LOVE and with him is FULL REDEMPTION." I discovered this verse when I was in Pattaya and this is what I wrote in my journal, "I know how the story will end. I don't need to know all the details in between. God will reveal them as he sees necessary." Today, I trust in his unfailing love.

Another verse I read in Pattaya this summer was Psalm 140:12, which says, "I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy." God cares deeply about the poor and needy. He is fighting for them, and he calls US to help him in this fight. He doesn't have to use us, but we have the privilege of joining him in this fight, if we make the choice to do SOMETHING. 


This morning, I thought of the quote, 

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

I know that in the end, evil will not triumph. Evil will be conquered. Until then, we have the opportunity to fight evil. To bring the kingdom of God here on earth. And we can do that through the power that Jesus Christ provides. 

Here is a list of 17 things you can do to fight human trafficking. You may not be able to do all of them, but everyone can do something. You never know what a simple action can do to help stop injustice. 

I am going to leave you with another story of redemption. Change is possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment