Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 21. Inside Out.

I gave a presentation to two seventh grade history classes. The first one was with 6 girls. The second class had about 10 boys. I showed an excerpt of the documentary, At the End of Slavery. After I showed the videos, I asked them what they were thinking or what they learned. Both of the classes said that it was sad and that they didn't know that slavery went on like that today.

I talked to them about the prevalence of slavery around the world and in the United States. I told them about fair trade and the decision that I made two and a half years ago to stop eating non-fair trade chocolate.

I also gave them a slip of paper with this information:
Divine and other fair trade chocolate, coffee, and tea can be bought at:
Fair Trade for All (2223 E. Capitol Drive, Shorewood)
Outpost Natural Foods (http://www.outpost.coop)
Alterra Coffee (http://alterracoffee.com)
For more information about fair trade: productsofslavery.org
For more information about human trafficking: www.ijm.org
http://www.zachhunter.me/, http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/, http://love146.org/, http://www.polarisproject.org/



They also got to taste a little fair trade chocolate thanks to Gail, the owner of Fair Trade for All. (Go shop at her store and buy lots of cool fair trade gifts!)


I talked to them about Zach Hunter and what he did, and I think that they thought that what he did was pretty cool.

I also told them about Pattaya Slum Ministries and a little bit about my time in Thailand. I gave them a prayer card for PSM too.

I asked them to tell others about what they learned. I asked them to consider buying fair trade items. I asked them to pray.

I am really thankful for the opportunity to share with these students. I feel very blessed that God gave me this opportunity and is using me to spread awareness about human trafficking. As they watched the IJM documentary, I prayed for these students, that they would remember what they have learned and do something to fight injustice.

On another note, today I put my dress on backwards. I didn't realize it until I was driving in the car. I thought about fixing it when I got to school, but then I decided against it. I was doing it to look a little less weird, to not stand out. I don't want what I look like, what I wear to matter. So, I decided to leave it the way it was. I also was curious to see who would notice. A couple of my students noticed and pointed it out after a couple of hours of being at school, but no one else did.

I thought about the fact that I didn't notice for a while at first either after I put on my dress this morning. I've been wearing this dress for 3 weeks now, and it's just life. It's pretty normal now. I wonder how many people in poverty, prostitution, and slavery just consider their situation as "normal", as "just life". I wonder how many have no hope of anything better. I think that's a lot. I think that is what keeps them in their situation. I want to help offer these people hope. Not only hope of a better life here and now, but hope in the next life too. I want freedom for all. Praying for change. My God can do it.

Oh, and I also got to share my Thailand pictures with 5 of my co-workers today!  I am thankful to have co-workers who are interested in what I have done and am going to do in Thailand. They listened to my stories (I always love to talk about Thailand) and they had a lot of questions too. It was a busy day, but well worth it. =)

1 comment:

  1. This is so great! I can't wait to hear about how the students move forward w/ the knowledge they now have in their adolescent minds. Awareness + Action

    ReplyDelete