Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 13. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day.

It's Valentine's Day tomorrow. Consider supporting Love 146 and sending a Valentine's Day card to someone you love. Click here to find out more information. 

What is love? 
1 Corinthians 13 says, 

 1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

How can I best love those who are experiencing injustice? How can I best love those who are inflicting injustice on others? 1 Corinthians says that I can give all I have to the poor, but it is not significant if it is not done in love. 

I don't have a complete answer to this, but here are some of my ideas. Please feel free to send me more. 
How can I best love those who are experiencing injustice? 
-Becoming more aware of what is going on around the world. 
-Giving money to organizations who are fighting injustice
-Going to a place where injustice occurs and learn about what is being done or what can be done to fight against it. (short term or long term)
-Making others aware of injustice and talking with others about what we can do to help. 
-Purchasing items that are made ethically and not purchasing items that are not. 
-Helping those experiencing injustice or circumstances beyond their control right in your own backyard. 
-Advocating for government aid for the poor and those experiencing injustice. 
-Praying for change. 

How can I best love those who are inflicting injustice on others? 
-This is a tough one. It's hard to love those who are subjecting others to heinous crimes. But they are creations of God too. They are broken people in need of a Savior, just as much as me. God calls me to pray for my enemies, and they need prayer too. Pimps and traffickers can be transformed through the power of the Holy Spirit. 
-Seeking ways for justice to happen. I don't know what that looks like exactly, but I am praying to become more aware. God tells me in his Word that he will take care of those who inflict justice. I trust that he will do this, in his perfect timing. If there are ways that I can be involved in bringing justice here on earth, I pray that he would show me (and that he would show you too). 

I was talking with some students at recess today, and they asked me if I was going to wear the same dress, even on Valentine's Day. I told them that I'm wearing this dress to show love to people by making others more aware of how they can help people who need it. I can't think of anything else I would rather wear on Valentine's Day. 

I am going to leave you with a quote from Mother Theresa. She said, "I have found the paradox that if you love others until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." I am praying for a lot less hurt and a lot more love this Valentine's Day. Please join me. 

1 comment:

  1. How can I love those who are experiencing injustice?

    Remind them how much God loves them, and that they are created in His image. Remind them that the love we have for them stems from the love God first gave us. God is love.

    ReplyDelete