Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 10. Lots of clothes I don't need.

This morning was exciting! My principal asked me to share what I'm doing to all the K5-4th grade students. I was able to tell them about my trip to Thailand last summer and about the people who live there who live in poverty. I asked them to tell one person about what they learned, and my principal asked them all to pray. I am thankful for the opportunity to share with the students at my school. Who knows what some of them might do to change the world. =)

Yesterday, I went running after school. After, I took a shower. I was planning on staying home that night and make a lot of hummus for a friend's wedding. I thought about just putting on some comfy clothes. I tried to justify it thinking that I was in my own house, and so it didn't really matter because I wasn't going to see anyone new. After a few minutes of thought, I decided against it. First of all, that's a choice that people who are living in poverty don't really have. Also, I was doing something that would potentially get my clothes dirty, and that is something that those in poverty have to just deal with. In fact, they live in conditions that are unclean and full of dirt and disease. I think I can handle a little hummus on my shirt.

Today was the first day where I felt like I wanted to wear something else when I got dressed today. This month I am getting a little taste of what it feels like not to have a choice, although I know that it is far from reality for those in poverty.

About 2 years ago, I heard a story about a woman in Africa who was never seen wearing another outfit. After that day, I felt disgusted with the amount of clothes I have and how easy it was for me to buy something new when I really didn't need it. I decided I didn't want to buy clothes for 3 months, and I didn't. (except one shirt, which I accidently bought at the beginning because I forgot). Since then, I have been learning how to buy less. I still have way more than I need though. Some time this Spring, I plan on getting rid of a lot more. I thought about getting rid of a certain number of items each day for a month. I definitely don't need all the choices that I have.

On another note, I came across this video of women who were rescued from the sex industry in Indiana over Superbowl weekend. It's exciting even when one life is rescued. Here are three lives being rescued. Change is happening.

Rescuing is the first step, but it shouldn't end there. After-care is so critical for those traumatized by a life lived in sex slavery.

Shared Hope International is an organization that focuses on rescuing and restoring. Check out this organization, which focuses on both local and international eradication of sexual slavery.

I found this on their website:

Rescue.

Free from confinement, danger or evil. To deliver.

Restore.

Return to its original and functional condition.
To bring back into existence.
At Shared Hope, experience has shown us that there is no rescue without restoration. If a girl is rescued out of a brothel or is able to flee from her pimp, and there is no place for her to be restored, she will most certainly end up in a worse condition than before her rescue.
Our rescue programs are integrated into the outreach efforts of local restoration centers or survivor-led shelters with whom we partner. Through these partnerships we are able to successfully remove women and children from sexual exploitation and begin the healing process. Restoration is a complex process which starts with helping the victim feel safe and offering the opportunity to rebuild trust. Programs address immediate and long-term needs including safe shelter, medical and mental health care, spiritual renewal, education, life skills, job training and vocational programs.
Basics is an organization in Milwaukee that is helping prevent sex trafficking and also restore girls coming out of this injustice. Find out more about the organization and how you can get involved here. Basics is in need of people to mentor girls coming out of prostitution. You don't need a degree in counseling to do it. Anyone can do it. If you have any questions about this, let me know. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Great post!

    First, I love how you told the students to tell one person what they learned about poverty and slavery. How many more people will know about this issue now? I'm thankful for your heart for for the needy and oppressed, Jenny Wilhelms!

    Second, I'm super proud of you for putting that dress back on after you had a glimpse of feeling fresh and clean. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts.

    Lastly, right on with rescue AND aftercare. So important. Now, how can we get some beds in Milwaukee?

    ReplyDelete