Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 17. I don't want my money to support this.

I don't know if this topic today is considered human trafficking, but it's definitely a terrible injustice that I felt compelled to share today. 


I listened to a podcast recently on labor practices in the Apple company. I decided to do a little more research. I read this article on Chinese labor practices and it said, "In the past few weeks, reports have surfaced about poor working conditions in Chinese factories that manufacture Apple products. FoxConn Technology, which Apple contracts to make its products, has been accused of exposing workers to toxic chemicals, hiring underage workers, and improperly disposing of hazardous materials."


The article goes onto mention one of my favorite reporter's opinion on the topic, "But Apple isn't the only company that's got an imperfect track record in workplace safety, and some, including Nicholas Kristof has said that employers like FoxConn have actually improved living conditions for workers who were once largely destitute farmhands."


I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that companies like Apple need to be regulated, so that this does not happen. Consumers need to let these companies know that this is not okay, and "Consumers who get up in arms about something and say, 'hey, I'll pay $50.00 more for an iPhone that isn't breaking the back of somebody," he says. "That could make a difference."


In doing more research, I came across an article by Nicholas Kristof, not talking about the labor practices involved with Apple but talking about the materials with which Apple and other electronic products are made. 


In this article, Nicholas Kristof said, "We may be able to undercut some of the world’s most brutal militias simply by making it clear to electronics manufacturers that we don’t want our beloved gadgets to enrich sadistic gunmen. No phone or tablet computer can be considered “cool” if it may be helping perpetuate one of the most brutal wars on the planet."


Here's what the problem is: 

Conflict Minerals in Your Electronics

Profit from the mineral trade is one of the main motives for armed groups on all sides of the conflict in eastern Congo - the deadliest since World War II. Armed groups earn hundreds of millions of dollars per year by trading four main minerals: the ores that produce tin, tantalum, tungsten, and gold. This money enables the militias to purchase large numbers of weapons and continue their campaign of brutal violence against civilians, with some of the worst abuses occurring in mining areas. The majority of these minerals eventually wind up in electronic devices such as cell phones, portable music players, and computers. Given the lack of a transparent minerals supply chain, American consumers have no way to ensure that their purchases are not financing armed groups that regularly commit atrocities, including mass rape. (http://www.raisehopeforcongo.org/content/initiatives/conflict-minerals)
Here are some action steps you can take in response. 
Also while researching, I came across this website that gives actions steps for other atrocities happening in Sudan, Somalia, and other countries in Africa. Read about it here
Over the past couple of years, I have been learning more and more about products that are not made fairly. I have made changes in the what I do with my money, but I know that there is even more I can do to make sure that I am not supporting injustices like these. I can choose to buy items that are made ethically or not buy them at all. I encourage you to think about what changes you can make in your purchasing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment