Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 15. Half way done. Much more to come.

I was looking on the Polaris Project website today as I was thinking about tangible ways that anyone in the United States can do to take action in the fight against human trafficking.

One thing I think everyone can do is raise AWARENESS. It definitely takes work to become knowledgeable about the topic. It definitely takes courage to speak up and talk about difficult issues. But when the crimes against innocent people are so heinous, how can I not speak up and defend their rights? 

The Polaris Project gives some steps you can take to raise awareness here. I am thinking about doing a clothing drive, which they suggested, because I have a lot of clothes I want to get rid of and if I can give them to a worthy cause, that would be even better. 

The Polaris Project website also gives information about pending legislation that will help fight against human trafficking locally and globally. Anyone can write a letter to a government representative encouraging them to advocate for these important bills. 

Here is a bill that is pending for Wisconsin:
Wisconsin 2011-2012
Number: WI AB 136 - Updated (Status 01/13/2012)
Title: Mandatory minimum sentences and extended supervision eligibility for persons who commit certain crimes against children and providing penalties.
Sponsor: Mason
Status: Asm.Public hearing held - 10/19/2011
Abstract: This bill changes the classification of the first crime to a Class A felony and changes the sentence for both sexual assaults to lifetime confinement in prison without the possibility of extended supervision. Under current law, a person who is convicted of the crime of intentional homicide is guilty of a Class A felony, which has a penalty of life imprisonment. Under this bill, if the victim was under the age of 18 years old, the sentence is lifetime confinement in prison without the possibility
This bill would INCREASE the risk of engaging in sexual exploitation (which I talked about earlier this week - the low risk for traffickers is a reason why it is so widespread).
We need laws, which will keep traffickers from doing what they are doing, and we also need law enforcers to hold them accountable. 
Finally today, I would like to leave you with a familiar verse that I read today. Philippians 4:13 says, "13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Even when the problem seems so big, we can rest in the fact that God has everything under control and he will equip us to do his work here on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment