Sunday, June 24, 2012

Week 3 set lao!

Set lao means finished. It's one of my favorite Thai words. Maybe because I like being done with things (like in a game). My time is going by fast, and I'm trying to take in as much as I can. I am happy with what I've been able to experience so far. 

On Monday, I started my scuba diving course. My instructor was a little Thai lady named Nok. I just did some scuba diving in the pool, but it was fun. I'll go in the ocean on Sunday and Monday this weekend. 

On Tuesday, we began another week in the slums. I was excited to get to the Tuesday slum where I was greeted by a few of my friends shouting, "Kru Jen-neeeee" (Kru means teacher). The team from the US led the program and taught about creation. I think the kids really enjoyed the program and had fun singing a silly song and drawing animals that God created. 

Wednesday and Thursday were also fun days in the slum. The Thursday slum kids always have a lot of energy. There is a group of new Cambodian refugees in this slum, and some of them don't know English. Thearith, Angela's husband, knows Khmer (the Cambodian language) and is able to interact with them really well. I think they are becoming more comfortable with the rest of the PSM staff too. 

On Thursday afternoon, I got to have lunch with the jewelry artisans, and that was fun. One of the jewelry artistans, Nood, decided to get a construction job, which allows her to work more hours. The jewelry artisans are only able to come and work 2 days a week, and this is not enough money to support her family and pay her debts (her husband is in jail). Pray for God to provide for Nood and her daughter, Keo. 

I also had fun on Thursday afternoon playing soccer with Ang, a boy who lives close to the center. He doesn't live in the slums, but he comes on Saturdays. He's a really nice boy, and it's exciting to see how PSM is having an influence on kids like him in the community where they are located. 

On Thursday night, I got to go down to the Tamar Center, located on one of the streets with all the prostitution. They have a worship night every week, and last night, it was great to worship God and pray for Pattaya, in the midst of all the evil that goes on in this city. "My God is Mighty to Save" was a song that touched my heart, realizing that my God is strong enough to bring an end to all of this darkness. As I saw the sights on the street, my first thought was that I was glad that I didn't have to see this every day. (PSM is located away from the beach, where most of the prostitution takes place.) And then I realized that this is their life every day. This is what they have to experience every day. The picture of this street is something that I do want to keep in my head, so that I can be reminded to pray and do whatever else I can to help this cause. 

On Friday, we went to the public school again for English club. There were about 10 kids there this week, and we talked about faithfulness. Some of the kids that come to this are PSM regulars, but there some that do not come to PSM activities, so it is a great way to reach others in the community. 

Today (Saturday) was youth club day. We took the kids to taekwondo class and then brought them back to the center. Some kids learned to make vegetables and rice and some kind of lemongrass soup, while the others learned English or guitar. I taught the kids the Electric Slide dance and the English words to go along with it. It was fun! The team from the US gave a devotional about worshiping God and when they had to say something that they were thankful for, many of them said they were thankful to be able to come to youth club at PSM. At the end of youth club, the kids did a "service project", where they went out into one of the slum communities and picked up trash. 

It was a great week in Thailand. Thanks so much for your prayers and encouragement. 

Tomorrow and Monday I go scuba diving in the ocean and I'm excited! I'll let you know how it goes! Also, coming up next week is a sleepover on Saturday night at PSM and then I go to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai for a week with Pin. 

Khwam Rak Mak (Much Love), 

No comments:

Post a Comment