Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Last week...


On Friday, we went to the public school where a lot of the PSM go. PSM has started to do an after-school English club in the past month. Right now, we are teaching the kids English words which include the fruit of the Spirit. This week’s lesson was on goodness. Jacie, the other American volunteer here this summer, led the lesson and taught the kids what goodness is. We challenged them to do something to show goodness this week.

Friday night was Family Fun night at PSM. Some of the jewelry artisans and their families came to the center. We ate some delicious green curry that Aom made. Then we sang and Angela gave a short message. We also played some games.

Saturday was youth club, when the older kids come to the center. First we took them to Taekwondo class. It was so much fun and they love it. We came back to the center, and I taught an English lesson to half the kids, while the other half did a cooking lesson with Aom. Then, we ate what they made together (some fried rice and cabbage/noodle soup).  Angela had asked me to lead a prayer time for different countries when I’m here, so I introduced what prayer is and why we prayer. Then I told them about the country of Swaziland and we prayed for the people there. None of them prayed out loud. It’s still something new, but hopefully, they will start to learn more about prayer and use it in their own lives. We also had a lot of free time to play games on Saturday. I played pretend doctor and hairdresser, drew on the white board, and learned to make a paper heart.

On Sunday, I went to church at the True Friendship church. I like the diversity of this church. There are more Thais than foreigners who go to this church, and some of those who come are former or current prostitutes. 

Pin and Aom have been bringing three girls from the slum to church. Their names are Mu, Ma, and Meow. They took them to KFC after church (which is a real treat for them =), and I went with them. Then, we went back to the center and I played Jenga with them, built towers, and they played on my computer. I had fun talking with them in Thai too. When they were leaving, they asked if we could play games next Sunday and they all gave me hugs. This blessed my heart. 

On Monday, I got to go to Koh Larn, an island off the coast of Pattaya with Pin, Jacie, and Pu (another Thai friend). It was BEAUTIFUL, and I had a really fun day with these girls. On Monday night, I went to Pu and Monica's apartment. Monica is an American volunteer with the Tamar Center. I met her last year. Every Monday night, she has dinner with girls that she meets on the Tamar Center bar outreaches. It was really cool to see how Monica has developed friendships with these girls and it was fun to interact with them (and eat some really good Thai food). I hope to get to go back to hang out with them again. After the dinner, Pu walked me to my songthao (public transportation in Pattaya). She is a former prostitute and last April, she made a decision to follow Jesus. She told me a little bit about her story and how God has changed her heart. She loves Jesus and is excited about serving him. This week, I'm going to meet with her to help her learn some more English.  

As I sat in church on Sunday, I was just overwhelmed by God’s love for me. This week, I have been thinking about God’s great love for Thai people in poverty and experiencing injustice. As much as God loves them and has them in his hands, he also has me and you in his hands. Because of his great love for me, he has allowed me to come to Thailand and I am able to play a small part in God’s redemption of the world. I am humbled by this gift. In the midst of seeing evil in this city that makes me sick, I am trusting that God’s ways are higher than mine. He wants to see his kingdom come here and now. I am thankful to be a part of that and am praying to see his hand more and more here in Pattaya.

Pray for PSM this week. Pray for lives in the slums to be transformed. Pray for the PSM staff, Jacie, and myself to build relationships with the kids and adults in the slums and point them to Jesus. Pray for my friends Bo and Nan, who aren’t going to school and are making unwise decisions. Pray for the jewelry artisans to continue to know Christ more.

Praise God that I have peace and joy while being here in Thailand. Praise him that I’ve been able to use my Thai to communicate.  Praise God for kids in the slums who know about God’s love and are making decisions to follow him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment